If you are struggling with addiction, you know how difficult it is to quit. Addiction is a disease, and drugs or alcohol change your body’s biochemistry. However, for some individuals, addiction may be especially difficult to beat. According to the American Psychological Association, a large percentage of an individual’s predisposition to drug addiction can be linked to genetic factors. However, there are also environmental factors that may lead to drug addiction. Because genetic elements and environmental factors can lead to addiction, drug and alcohol detox is vitally important for those who truly want to overcome addiction.
If you’re hoping to stop using drugs, there are many options for alcohol detox and an addiction recovery center in the metropolitan area. If you are struggling with addiction, get help today.
Is Addiction Genetic or Environmental?
Is addiction genetic? The studies say that, yes, addiction is partly caused by genetic factors. However, it can also be instilled by the environment and society in which an individual was born and lives. This means that both types of factors may lead to addiction. However, just because your genes dictate that you may form an addictive personality, that propensity doesn’t have to be your destiny. You will want to seek a comprehensive drug and alcohol detox facility that targets the following factors that can worsen or improve your chances for forming addiction:
- Provide new and robust coping mechanisms that are tailored to your needs.
- Dual-diagnosis care to fight underlying, genetically linked mental health disorders.
- Identify personality traits that can lead to addiction so that you can be aware of how to shift with these inherent traits, such as non-conformity or impulsiveness.
- Help you treat underlying health disorders such as chronic pain, metabolic, or physiological disorders.
- Support healthy friendships and cultivate a supportive system of groups and activities.
- Properly treat trauma or PTSD symptoms. This can include finding the right therapy and treating the physical symptoms of trauma.
- Fight the environmental factors that may have added to your addiction, such as being exposed to addiction or trauma in the home during early childhood.
Genetic factors do not have to dictate your outcome. While genetic factors may make it easier to form an addiction, finding the right alcohol addiction rehab can ensure that your addiction does not continue. Fight back today by getting the care you need from a professional addiction treatment center.
What Does an Addiction Recovery Center Offer?
There are numerous addiction recovery centers in North Carolina. Ultimately, you will want to select the addiction recovery center that is the right fit for you. You need to examine what programs are offered and what types of proven therapies they provide. Additional considerations such as residential or outpatient care options, aftercare or alumni support, and gender-specific treatment may also be necessary.
A truly professional and comprehensive facility will have some or all of the following programs or services:
- Alcohol and drug detox
- Alcohol addiction rehab
- Drug addiction rehab
- Residential inpatient treatment
- PHP (partial hospitalization program)
- IOP (intensive outpatient program)
- 12-step program
- Aftercare services
- Alumni program
They should also provide any or all of the following evidence-based clinical or proven holistic therapies:
- Medication-assisted treatment
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy
- Group therapy
- Family therapy
- Experiential therapy
- Co-occurring disorders treatment (dual diagnosis)
- Holistic treatment
As you can see, finding the right addiction recovery center will require research and patience but will pay off by ensuring you have the best chance of a successful recovery.
Reach Out for Addiction Treatment
If you live in North Carolina, there is an addiction treatment and recovery center that is right for you. One that gives you the chance to fight genetic and environmental components fueling your addiction. Through evidence-based therapies and new coping mechanisms, and life skills, you can attain a life of sobriety. Reach out now.