Many of those who struggle with substance abuse and addiction do so because of underlying emotional and mental health issues. The use of drugs or alcohol to deal with past trauma, emotional or physical, are examples of unhealthy coping mechanisms. Many who deal with addiction develop patterns where they rely on substances to deal with an underlying pain – rather than confronting those issues. If you are struggling with unhealthy coping mechanisms, you may want to consider finding a drug and alcohol addiction recovery center.
Coping Mechanisms Don’t Have to be Destructive
A coping mechanism is simply a way people deal with stress, unhappiness, and other issues in their lives. Most people have some form of coping mechanism they use to deal with stress. For example, some people watch their favorite television show to unwind at night or play video games. We all need time to ourselves doing something that we enjoy. A habit or pattern that includes some “me” time is a great way to manage stress.
Problems can arise when people turn to coping mechanisms that are destructive. Using alcohol, for example, as stress relief, creates a myriad of issues. Once someone equates drinking to stress relief, stress itself becomes a trigger. These drinking patterns and habits can quickly lead to addiction. Therefore, it is essential to find healthy alternative coping methods. This is especially the case for someone recovering from an addiction who does not want to fall back into an old pattern.
Healthy Coping Mechanisms
Finding some healthy, alternative coping mechanisms is crucial for those recovering from addiction. Positive coping mechanisms can come from joining a joining facility with specialized care, such as Texas mens rehab program. Below are some options for healthy coping mechanisms:
- Exercise – Exercise is good for you, releases endorphins, and is a great way to relieve stress. It also can improve sleep habits and general health. Through exercise, you can manage stress, control your cravings, and create positive patterns in your life.
- Art/Writing – Creatively expressing yourself is very fulfilling and a way to cope with the stresses of life. When something getting you down, it is a comfort to retreat to a safe place where you can express your feelings.
- Pet Ownership – Having some companionship from a pet can, in a way, be a coping mechanism, and it actually can tie into exercise. If you own a dog and have a routine where you take it for a walk or play with it, you can relieve stress and get your mind off of things that might be bothering you.
- Volunteering – Volunteer work can provide a tremendous sense of satisfaction. It also allows you to be part of an organization or involved in a community, increasing your support system.
- Engage in a hobby – Find things you enjoy and are passionate about and focus your spare time and energy on those things. For example, it could be playing sports, gardening, playing video games, or drawing. Whatever your interest and whatever you enjoy, reward yourself by pursuing it.
Those are just a few suggestions. The important thing is to find things you enjoy and are passionate about that are a positive impact on your life.
Seek Help When You Need It
Finding appropriate coping mechanisms and avoiding old patterns can be challenging, but this is not something you have to do alone. Whether you need a men’s or a women’s rehab Austin TX trusts, if you’re ready to seek help, contact a center today.